Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Lost Your Car?

Hopefully your car wasn't stolen! But maybe you just left a shopping mall through a different door than the one you entered. I recall a problem like this after attending an event in the ARCO Arena, where every door looked the same! 

One idea is to use two Apple AirTags in your vehicle. One in an obvious place and one tucked away. Bad actors will find the obvious one and stop looking for the second one. Each AirTag can be named. Buying the 4-pack of AirTags saves some money and you can add one to your luggage when traveling. 

Let's review two apps - Apple Maps and Find My for the next time … 

When your iPhone connects to the car radio via Bluetooth then Apple MAPS will show you “Parked Car.” This is great for any large sea of parking lot. No additional app needed! (When renting a car, this might be a reason to connect to the radio, and then remember to delete it before turning in the vehicle.) 

The FIND MY app will show you location and give directions to get to People, Devices (computers, iPads with same AppleID), Items (AirTags). The ME pane is settings for this feature. I just checked it to see something new on iPhone 15 Pro: My Location via Satellite. Currently “Not Available” > Learn More > … because I am on WiFi and have cellular available and recent iPhone model. Tapping on a Device name helps find it with Play Sound, Directions and allows a device to Mark As Lost > Activate when really lost/stolen and to Erase This Device when confirmed lost/stolen. 

Reporting all this to you is a reminder to ME! And I will share with other iPhone users. You know I believe in rewiring tech details in my brain by sharing in person and writing on the blog. Especially when I’m not using features as regular habits. Thanks for indulging me.